Key Research Areas
Fraunhofer Institute for Reliability and Microintegration
Department High Density Interconnect & Wafer Level Packaging & All Silicon System Integration Dresden ASSID
Micro Energy Systems
Energy autarkic micro systems and smart sensor nodes will lead to entirely new capabilities and applications in the future.
Energy supply and storage is not an added, discrete feature but an integral part of system functionality. Its development requires alliances of developers, manufacturers and end user groups. Micro batteries, portable fuel cells and energy harvesting are key words for this evolution.
Fraunhofer IZM addresses these topics together with partners from industry and academia in a number of research projects. Here we use silicon wafer level 3D technology and electronics packaging technologies to integrate and miniaturize power supplies for future electronic products.
The department runs a well-equipped battery test laboratory and offers testing and consulting services.
Among the R&D topics are:
- Integration and encapsulation of lithium micro batteries on wafer level
- Development of novel 3D lithium anodes
- Numerical battery simulation
- Development of miniaturized PEM fuel cells
- Pulse power optimized fuel cells for wireless modules
- Hydrogen generation for micro fuel cells based on chemical hydrides and galvanic Zn-cells
- Energy harvesting based on piezo and solar modules