R&D activities at Fraunhofer IZM in Cottbus concentrate on the development of cost-effective, miniaturized and application-specific high-frequency sensors and high-speed systems as well as on the investigation of novel millimeter-wave and terahertz packaging solutions for these systems.
We focus on two main areas, namely:
- Radar and proximity sensor systems including their components, for the following application fields:
- Medical & Healthcare
- Industrial Automation
- Smart Farming
- High-speed modules, packages and boards for communication and computing, specifically:
- Antenna-in-Package (AiP) based RF frontend modules for wireless communication interfaces (e.g. for 5G, 6G) of end devices and systems in the above mentioned application fields
- High-speed interposers and System-in-Package (SiP) modules in accelerator cards for high-performance computing (HPC), artificial intelligence (AI) and Big Data workloads
- High-speed boards with PCI-Express interface (e.g. PCIe 5.0) for multi gigabit-per-second (Gbit/s) data communication in HPC and AI based systems
We apply our holistic design approach (M3-approach), to systematically design, test and optimize these application-specific sensor systems, high-speed modules, packages and boards up to 170 GHz.
Since our unique design approach enables the impact of a variety of factors (e.g. the application environment, packaging technologies and fabrication tolerances) to be considered right at the beginning of the design phase, multiple re-design iterations can be prevented. This leads to significant reduction in the development time and cost.
Our team works hand-in-hand with industry partners (from SMEs to global players) to provide innovative, custom-tailored and cost-effective solutions that meet their needs.
We look forward to welcoming you as our collaboration partner.