The »RF & Smart Sensor Systems« department stands for application-driven system design competence at Fraunhofer IZM, with focus on communication and radar sensor systems as well as on wireless sensor nodes and systems. Our current R&D activities concentrate on:
- RF characterization of packaging materials and technologies up to 220 GHz
- RF design of antennas, antenna systems and passive components
- RF and high-speed system design
- Design and integration of miniaturized wireless sensor nodes and systems
- Power supply and energy management in microelectronic systems
- Physical design tools and software
Using our holistic M3-approach (methodologies, models and measures), we ensure best design solutions first time right. This is achieved by systematically considering a multitude of factors that impact system performance right at the beginning of the design phase, e.g. the impact of electronic packaging materials and technologies, as well as the impact of fabrication tolerances on system performance.
Our laboratories are well equipped with state-of-the-art measurement equipment which operate from DC to 220 GHz.