Using 3D integration of components, complex, heterogeneous system-in-packages (SiP solutions) can be developed.
The major advantages of 3D system architecture include:
- High miniaturization and improved form factor
- Improved performance and power efficiency thanks to the faster signal speeds and higher bandwidth via shorter and narrower signal paths
- Increased functionality due to heterogeneous integration of components, which are fabricated using various techno logies (sensor, memory, ASIC and transceiver)
- System partitioning
- Faster product implementation (also known as ‘time to market’)
- Fewer costs due parallelization of assembly processes
Fraunhofer IZM’s services include a closed process chain – concept and process development, characterization, as well as reliability assessment and prototyping of 3D systems. All processes required throughout the chain for the realization of wafer-level packages, including through silicon via (TSV) formation, are available in our labs. 3D systems that meet the disparate target profiles demanded by various application scenarios, such as image sensors, sensor nodes, eGrains, can be realized and characterized. We work in close cooperation with tool and material suppliers to continuously improve applied technologies.