Our core field of competence is the eco-design of new electronic products in information and communication technology or consumer electronics, lighting, industrial and automotive electronics, and sensor components. We take into account the entire lifecycle of a product from the raw materials, through the production of the components and the assembly, marketing and use phases to recycling and disposal.
For product optimisation we can offer:
- Assessment of the environmental impact of your product and comparison with the legal requirements regarding eco-design
- Recommendations for the priorities for product optimisation and the formulation of eco-design targets
- Development of product-related eco-design measures
- Formulation of design guidelines for individual product categories or specific topics, e.g. design for recycling
- Transparent communication of environmental criteria
We base our recommendations on a broad spectrum of criteria (carbon footprint, life-cycle assessment, toxicity potential, screening methods), working in close cooperation with the technology departments of the Institute, and drawing on the expertise in the field of reliability.
Examples for eco-design projects with small and medium-sized enterprises include support for Better Energy Systems in the development of their Solio solar battery charger, on-going cooperation with the Irish company MicroPro in the development of their product line iameco, or the optimisation of more compact ballasts together with the company Thai Energy Conservation.