Environmental Legislation: RoHS, WEEE, EcoDesign
Product-related environmental legislation is increasingly affecting electrical and electronic products. In recent years the European Commission, with its RoHS, WEEE und EuP/ErP Directives has not only placed considerable restrictions on substances such as lead, mercury, cadmium, chromium (VI), and the flame retardants PBDE and PBB and has regulated the recycling of waste electrical and electronic equipment, but with the Ecodesign Directive has also initiated a broad process of life-cycle related product optimisation. The EuP/ErPDirective is meanwhile closely integrated with Energy Efficiency Labelling Directive and the EU Environmental Label.
With its broad engineering expertise in the field of electronics, Fraunhofer IZM provides advice for manufacturing companies as well as for national and international institutions (European Commission, German federal ministries, authorities and environmental agencies in other EU Member States).
We support the legislative process by proving necessary technical-economic analyses and help companies to develop suitable compliance strategies.
The research on environmental legislation focuses on the following topics:
- Preparatory studies on the eco-design of selected product groups European Commission
- Development of strategies for recycling-optimizedproduct design and for determining real recycling rates
- Assessment of applications for RoHS exemptions for the European Commission
- Substituting harmful substances in electronics
- Global effects and trends of product-related environmental legislation
- Advising companies and authorities on conformity with RoHS, WEEE and EuP/ErP
Proactive environmental product optimisation outside the scope of legislation